Sunday, July 27, 2014

Chain of Wools: Link scarf pattern

This pattern is very adaptable. What I am giving you is essentially a guide of how to make a scarf.

I used a J Hook
Worsted Weight Yarn
Gauge is not important
These are only suggestions, as stated this is a guide, experiment!  :)
Ch 287

Step 1: dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next 4 chs, *ch 5, skip next 5 chs, dc in next 5 ch* repeat from * to * till end of chain. FO, this will be Link A




Step 2: make another ch 287 and weave it through Link A (see photo) then dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next 4 chs, *ch 5, skip next 5 chs, dc in next 5 ch* repeat from * to * till end of chain. FO, this will be Link B.  You can weave in from either top or bottom.  I like to switch back and forth starting my weave from bottom on one link, then top on next (or vice versa).









Step 3: make another ch 287 and weave it through Link B (see photo) then dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next 4 chs,  *ch 5, skip next 5 chs, dc in next 5 ch* repeat from * to * till end of chain. FO, this will be Link C.   Continue to repeat Steps 4 and 5 till reach the desired width of scarf.  For my completed scarf I did 7 links.


Here is what my scarf looked like after 4 links:


Finishing: I completed one scarf with a solid bottom by 3 sc in the bottom of each chain continuously, but I also completed a second scarf by adding fringe to the bottom of each link.  I think that fringe made the scarf flow better, but again, this pattern is adaptable to your preferences! play around with the pattern and see what works for you.  

The first scarf I completed looked like this:

Here is the bottom of the second scarf that was completed with fringe:


Disclaimer:  I saw this idea on pinterest but the page was in another language and did not have clear instructions so I decided to write down what I did, using my own version and calculating the amount of stitches needed for a scarf a little over 5 feet long.  I'm offering this as a guide for others to play around with.





No comments:

Post a Comment