Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Magic of Mike (Quasi Review)

caution: possible spoiler alerts

   So, I've read a couple of "negative" reviews of Magic Mike, by women nonetheless and I'm almost positive they are straight, I could be wrong. Either way, I don't see why so many people want to "hate" on Magic Mike or are trying to take it so seriously. 
   It's almost like people are expecting this to be an Oscar winning movie with phenomenal acting and the world's greatest plot known to mankind.  Why not just treat it like what it is, a fun movie. 
   I went into the movie theatre not even wanting a plot.  I just wanted to see these amazing looking men dance and gyrate their hips to some music while getting naked.  In fact, every time there was "acting" going on, I was like "wtf, why are they not dancing and getting naked?" in my head.  I'm not even sure if my brain was registering a movie was going on half the time anyway.  I was so in awe of the gorgeousness on screen that I cared not about what the characters were saying, I was just waiting for that next time when I got to see them dance.
   Yeah, it was a bit disheartening that they threw a jab in at the chubby girls and made the sexiest one hurt himself while spinning a thick chick around, but who cares? I'm not going to have a hissy over the entire movie because of one small scene.
   Everyone is trying to make this a big deal and a battle of the sexes.  I'm not going to go that deep into this.  I simply wanted to see some attractive men (especially Joe Manganiello whom I luuuurve as Alcide on True Blood) get naked and be sexy on screen.
   If women keep tearing each other down and saying that because we want to let loose and hoot and holler at men while they take off their clothes, that this is the reason that we are never going to be equal, I'm sorry, I've got news.  This is not the reason why we aren't going to be equal.  The fact that we tear each other down because we on occasion like to do these things is quite possibly the reason we aren't going to be equal.
  Men may fight and beat the shit out of each other, but damned if they don't have each other's backs.  We just talk shit and throw each other under the bus.  If someone likes to dress a certain way we call them strippers and sluts and don't defend their actions.  Men, don't do that. 
   So, I'm not going to make this a "battle of the sexes" thing for Magic Mike.  I simply went to the movie to see sexy men with my best friend.  I enjoyed myself, I'd go to see it again, and possibly again.  I will own this movie the second it comes out on DVD and I'm pretty sure I will watch it over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment