Thursday, June 28, 2012

Recipe? What Recipe?

   Today, I baked my first strawberry pie.  I'd like to give you a recipe and tell you exactly how much of what I put into it, but I can't. I don't really cook, bake, paint, or hell even crochet that way (hence my store name of Defy Society Arts). It's like my brain puts a stop to following directions exactly and I just don't do it.
   I kinda follow recipes in that I use them as a starting point for things that I cook, but then from there I substitute a buncha things.  I stop measuring after like the first two ingredients.  Like when CW is helping me make sopapillas and he asks how much flour to put in, I'm like "uh, I usually put like 6 or 7 handfuls."
   When I started crocheting, I tried so hard to follow patterns because I wanted to make ALL THE CUTE SHIT I saw in my book.  I saw everything my Bestie, Stephy was making and I was like, I fucking love it ALL.  Then my brain was like, WTF is this?  I don't get it.  So I just started crocheting shit on the fly.  I still do that.  Now that I've been crocheting for a while, I can kinda sorta follow patterns, but I'm a lot better on my own.  For some strange reason, I find it easier to look at something and then go from there.
   Take today's strawberry pie, I read a few recipes, didn't like that a lot of them wanted me to add jello... didn't have cornstarch.  So I just went with it and did my own thing.  My pie came out pretty good.  Now, I know next time to maybe add a little more of this and a little more of that and let it chill for longer, but all in all, it came out well.  It's mostly trial and error with cooking, baking, painting, and even crocheting.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment