Sunday, January 25, 2015

I'm saying it loud and proud: I'm pansexual!

Lately, I've read a lot of things about people talking crap about pansexuality,  As someone who identifies as a pansexual, I find this hurtful. Just because you may not agree with something or relate to something does not mean that it doesn't exist.

I do not consider myself bisexual because I'm not attracted to a person's gender, I'm attracted to the person.  There is something that draws me to a person, not what's between their legs.

I spent my entire life completely confused at what was "wrong" with me because I couldn't identify with what everyone around me was doing.  I never sought out a specific gender to be attracted to.  I was confused as a child when I was attracted to other females, yet I still liked males as well but not only that, I found that I was attracted to transgengered people as well.  If there was something about a person that I was attracted to, their gender was nothing to me,  It's like being attracted to blondes or brunettes... you can't explain it, it's just something that is.

When I was older, I actually had a couple of relationships with women which confused me even more.  I told my parents that I had no idea what was going on with me.  I was still insanely confused.  My parents supported me no matter what.

One day, I was watching some show (I can't remember what now) but they said pansexual and described it and well, it described me.  I didn't care what a person was, I cared who they were.  I was freaking elated by the fact that I could push away the confusion and I had something that I could call myself.  I was no longer confused by what was going on in my mind, I no longer had to wonder why I felt the way I did when it came to others.

Now what bothers me is the fact that people feel the need to insult or be so aggressive about the way others identify. Why does my "gender blindness" bother you so much?  Does it affect you in any way?  No, it doesn't.  Most likely I'm not attracted to someone who's so closed-minded therefore you don't have to worry about my attraction to you.

It's just like I will never understand those who are so angry about homosexuality.  How does one person's marriage affect another's?  It's simple, it doesn't.  Just like heterosexual marriages have no affect on each other, neither does a homosexual marriage.

People talk about the "sanctity" of marriage being ruined by allowing marriage equality... if that were the case, then let's outlaw divorce because that REALLY ruins the sanctity of marriage.

People talk about others going to hell because of their sexuality.  Even if that were the case, does it really affect you?  No.  It does not.

My point is this, just because you don't understand or relate to something doesn't make it wrong.  My sexual preference is mine and mine only.  I just like being able to relate to something.   After years of mental anguish and confusion, it's nice to know that I'm not alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment